01 February 2013

Disco Goddess Shines and Sews

The first day of February was celebrated by finishing my gold leggings and a trip to the thrift store. I was mostly looking for overalls and was frankly surprised at the lack thereof. Salvation Army was a bust. I made a donation at the Savers but came out with one pair of jeans, two t-shirts and one summer dress, for about $20. The t-shirts and dress will be well used, but weren't exactly necessary. The jeans on the other hand were very justified as I am about to explain.

The three pairs of size 6 Gap jeans I own have stretched out no longer fit. I can actually take them off without needing to undo the button and zipper. My new jeans are also Gap, but a size 4. We'll see how these fare. Lladybird got some locally-made, really decadent (I'm referring to fit, price and quality, I don't mean their bedazzled with Swarovski all over) that she blogged about and then made two t-shirts. So now I feel like a bum for having resorted to the thrift store for these things.

Oh yes, the gold leggings. I'm sure you're not interested in seeing those old things. How boring. How blah. How banal.
JUST KIDDING!
Who can resist the tacky-fabulous that are gold leggings? After using this fabric for Chad Deity I knew I needed to own something made from it. I was largely inspired by Oona's own go at '80s leggings so I blame her for any eye injuries that may occur to onlookers at the dance club. You also get a bonus previously un-blogged top. Ooh, aah!

P.S. Excuse the blurriness for as we all know, winter = indoor photos = blurry. Plus an impatient teenage sister as photographer meant I was lucky to get anything usable.
Pattern: Simplicity 2364 (D) size 12, McCalls 6173 (B) size medium
Rating: S2364 - 4/5, M6173 - 3/5
Fabric: Gold Mystique same as for Chad Deity's shorts poly/spandex, cotton/spandex Swim/Dance knit both from JoAnn
Cost: About $11 apiece
Time: More than expected on both :(
Notes: I made this top about a year ago. I had to take in a bit from the sides, particularly at the waist to give it shape. I didn't like it when I first made it but it's grown on me. It's a little Grecian and I can dig that.
The leggings on the other hand...TOTAL NIGHTMARE! The finished hip measurement for a medium was listed as 35 3/4", which should be a nice snug fit on my 36ish" hips. How wrong I was! When I put them on they looked just like a pair of wide leg dress pants...except in totally inappropriate fabric. 
I took the leg seams in. Then I took them in again. And again and again. I also took in the center seam twice! A project that should have taken an hour took up a whole morning because I also went back, opened them up, re-cut them and re-sewed them so I wouldn't have a bunch of extra fabric in the legs.
I was very disappointed. I would guess I should have made an XS and next time I will!  Yes, there will be a next time because when I go to NYC I most definitely need to hit up Spandex World because at the very least, I need a pair of Charlie Brown leggings. Very appropriate for this wah-wah, wishy-washy blockhead of a pattern, non?

10 comments:

  1. Well they look fantastic -- at least lying down! LOL Too bad they took so long but I'd say it was worth it to look that snazzy. Now you need roller skates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some at the thrift store! I really considered it - they even had hot pink wheels.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't feel bad about thrifting the jeans because you totally rock these gold leggings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that same problem with the leggings I have made! They are all enormous....I think the best thing to do it trace a pair that fits, and make your own pattern off that. But these look great now. I love me a gold legging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, trace a pair, that's EXACTLY what i did. and if you trace a pair sans side seams, you only have two seams to sew!

      THESE PANTS ARE A GOLDEN GOD (DESS). obviously. i seriously dig them. what with all these leggings goign around, we ought to have an eighties night...

      Delete
  4. Freakin' awesome! I love the gold leggings and the Grecian goddess top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three cheers for inappropriate fabric!!!! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture of you is FIERCE! I absolutely love these leggings paired with the Grecian top. I think everyone should now own a pair of gold leggings, and I would love to be with you in Spandex World while you pick up that delightful gold and black goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huzzah for gold leggings, and that chevron print is unstoppable! And you can NEVER have too many metallic leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This outfit is too sexay!! You look amazing. Now I'm sorry we didn't hit Spandex World yesterday. Or did we? It's all a blur. :)

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv