26 December 2012

Christmas Sewing I: Boxers

I really had no idea what to make my boyfriend for Christmas until I remembered that he jokingly asked for knitted underwear, after finding out that I knit. Well, I thought to myself, that would be both amusing and practical for New England winter. After some research on Ravelry however, I decided that knitted underwear was not the best choice - mainly because there's only one un-sized pattern for it, unless you're looking for some rather unusual men's knitted lingerie!
Men's Ribbed Boxerbriefs Pattern by Kevin Williams | ravelry.com
So I moved on to a set of boxers, because, in his words it is "flannel boxer season!" My fellow sewists, I have now made this pattern 5 times and am going to be doing it twice more...I have one unfinished pair for him and I'm also using the pattern for a costume for "Chad Deity". I was just getting a little sick of this pattern when my dad sees them and decides he wants some for his next gift. *Sigh* a sewist's work is never done!
Pattern: Simplicity 9958
Fabric: All from JoAnn Fabrics; Rock n Roll - novelty quilter's cotton, Fishing and Camping/Caliente Peppers - snuggle flannel prints, World Map - quilter's panels, Red/Black Southwest Print - flannel shirtings.
Time: 3-4 days
Review: 4/5 - Once I'd sewn two pairs, I didn't even need to consult the directions anymore. I took away one point because the layout has you fold the fabric the opposite way from normal layouts, so I really had to think when I was buying directional prints. Of course, I messed it up and bought too much of the ones I didn't need to and too little of the ones I needed more of, so there's one unfinished pair!
Notes: I did the red and black pair first and they were a nightmare! I was using the industrial machine at work and my friend had just replaced the needle - BACKWARDS! So the thread kept breaking, but we didn't know why. Finally, I just sewed any thicker parts by hand. The rest went much more quickly because I sewed them on my own machine, but I almost ran out of thread a few times because I pulled from my stash. I finished them at midnight, Friday and gave them to him on Saturday!
I had a lot of fun picking out the fabrics, because I tried to pick things he liked or that meant something; for example the peppers fabric references an inside joke and I did the southwestern fabric because he used to live in Utah.
In case you didn't know what boxers look like, I will model them for you. Stay tuned for my final Christmas gift post!
P.S. - He loved them :)

4 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! I bet he loved them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my go-to boxer pattern. I make them occasionally for my son. There are instructions in my photo album here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116516756915428519533/S9958

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic!! I love all of the fabrics you used, but my favorite has to be the summer camp fabric you are modeling here :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Knitted boxers?!? God, it looks everything but practical... (though honestly, if it feels fine on the sensitive places, it's probably more than awesome...)
    :D
    Also, it made me smile. Big.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv