08 March 2012

John Carter of Barsoom, Mars

Probably a lot of you have seen this trailer for John Carter a new movie by Disney and thought, "Huh?" It doesn't have princesses (EDIT: the cutesy, marketable to 4 year old kind), the aliens don't feel particularly futuristic and overall, it doesn't look very Disney either. The minute I saw the trailer I jumped up and down and nearly wet myself with EXCITEMENT.
John Carter is the main character in a series of sci-fi books my dad gave me back in high school. I only got through two of them but they were excellent. It was originally published in 1940 but my copies are from the 1970s/1980s.
The nub and gist of what I'm saying is go see it. It will be good (I hope).

5 comments:

  1. I have a few of those books and love them - I'm also hoping the film will be good. There are princesses in the books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh! I didn't know they were based off of a book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same guy wrote the Tarzan books.

      Delete
  3. You had me at the video. That John Carter, he's pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This series of books, the Barsoom Series, were actually initially published as a serial in 1912 and then collected into one volume, A Princess of Mars, in 1917-1943. The first three in the series are a trilogy in which John Carter is clearly the hero. The intervening books between these three and last two, which again focus on John Carter--John Carter of Mars: John Carter and the Giant of Mars and John Carter of Mars: Skeleton Men of Jupiter (published 1941 and 1943 respectively)--focus on descendants of characters from the first three. I've only read a few of the earlier books in the series as they're kinda hard to come by (read: The library doesn't carry them). I'm kinda dying to get my hands on them as I'm a bit of an early sci-fi nerd and working on a paper about early 20th century sci-fi. Oh who am I kidding... I'm gigantic a sci-fi nerd!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv