06 February 2012

January Sewing Summary Pt. 2: Is It Summer Yet? Skirt

So we're pretty much a week into February, but since I've been sick all week I haven't been able to get around to finishing this series of posts. This was my quick and easy confidence boosting project to get my mind of my struggles with the Macaron and it has lived up to my expectations. Too bad I have to wait a few months to wear it.
SW Challenge: Down Under...sew something opposite your season (winter here!)
Pattern: Simplicity 2258 (2012)
Materials: JoAnn "Babysilk" 100% Polyester ($8.99), elastic ($2.29), thread ($1.08)
Time: 4-5 hours?
Cost: $12.36
Size: 14. For once, it fit exactly with just enough ease! I don't know if this is due to its more junior styling, but I also hemmed less than recommended and came out with a skirt just as short in the photo (about 2" above my knee) and lets face it, I shop in the petites section, so I'm a shorty!
Pros: For starters, it is definitely quick and definitely easy. I love how the pockets are constructed and the fact that it has them. The front tie hides the elastic waist and keeps it from being frumpy. It is a good young person's beginner pattern but just fun enough for a more advanced sewer as well. I challenges my hand sewing skills on attaching the ties so that you wouldn't see stitching.
Cons: I'm not in love with the silhouette, I prefer a fuller skirt to balance out my top heaviness, but that's not the pattern's fault at all. The only sad thing is my fabric doesn't make for a nice bow when I tie the ties, so I've just used a square knot.

2 comments:

  1. I love that colour , I have this pattern and your version is far better than the pattern envelope.I love how you pair colours together. I wouldnt of put those two together myself but they look great.

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv