13 December 2011

SW: Everything's Coming Up Roses

I've pretty much accepted that I won't participate in basically the rest of the Sew Weekly challenges this year - December is just too hectic a month. But I am doing a big wardrobe culling and making a to-fix/finish list for myself. I'd like next year to be more about fixing and finishing projects that I've already started or for which I'd already bought fabric - stash busting WILL happen.
So when I had a little free time today I decided to kick-start my list with an easy one. This was intended to be my Think Pink sewing challenge and once I'd repaired my petticoat that was going to be my Spanish Harlem sewing challenge. I don't know why I procrastinated on this one so much, all it needed was to be shortened! I am lazy pants.
 All I did was take a thrifted 1990s does 1920s dress that went to my ankles and shortened it a LOT. Then I washed and ironed it like crazy because it smelled a little funny. It's made of a lovely drapey rayon challis and with the petticoat it has a great soft 1960s dress feel to it. It is a little chilly now to wear it, but it will definitely get use in the spring.

As a side note I also attempted to repair my vintage fur shrug. After sewing it the stitches just ripped through the leather, so I tried hot glueing...I could see the original glue lines so I knew it was made in a similar way. Just apparently not with hot glue! It didn't work at all!

10 comments:

  1. A very pretty dress, I wish I had the imagination to do some nice refashioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is adorable! Too bad about the shrug. Is it wearable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress is fabulous! Love the belt with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortening and cinching can make almost any dress fabulous! Nice refashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great with the belt! And I bet it looks great on, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this dress, and it's really interesting to hear everyones plans for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh lisette, this is so pretty! it's hilarious that the shortening kept you from spanish harlem-ing it. but weren't you in the middle of hairspray? totally understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty! I love the fabric, I'll be so nice to wear this come spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've decided to do the same thing with my closet: fix what I'm not wearing. Otherwise it feels too wasteful! Isn't it funny what a good hemming can do? Love the fabric on this! Happy New Year!:)

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv