To preface this post, I need to say that I usually don't do Halloween. Not only am I tired after making costumes for other people, so that I don't feel like making my own, but I haven't been invited to a Halloween party in years.
This year, I was invited to 4. All on the same night!
I will be attending the one for which I received an invitation first, and it is conveniently Hogwarts themed! I already knew I was going to make a gown for King Richard's Faire this year and decided to combine the two costumes and go to the party as Rowena Ravenclaw.
Pattern: Butterick 4827, size 14 (2011), drawstring bag from free online tutorial (not in photos)
Fabric: Crepe-textured polyester satin, the same fabric used for the purple 1940 gown I made for "Annie", from my stash
Notions: Trim, cording, sari fabric remnant from JoAnns - $25
Time: 3 days
Notes/Alterations: I loved sewing this, I really did. It took very little time to complete. I used my sloper to fit it initially but it was still really large in some areas, mainly the upper back. You can see below that I didn't do the lace-up back, it is loose enough to slip on over my head which I thought was more realistic than bothering with a zipper, which was my initial plan. I also had to cut the center back pieces in half across my waist, because I didn't have enough fabric otherwise. I didn't have enough for facings either, so I serged and then turned everything under once, since the trim on the neckline and sleeves over it is very stiff.
Pros: I love it! I think it came out beautifully for such a simple pattern. I barely needed the instructions and with all the princess seams it is easy to fit.
Cons: I think I could have made a smaller size, especially for the sleeve. I took in two inches on each sleeve seam! They were so baggy and awful originally. However, I think this affected the fit in the armsceye so my range of motion is slightly limited. The neckline also came out less of a scoop and more of a boatneck, but that was fine with me. The trim was the worst bit to work with, it had no give, so I had to box pleat it on the curves of the neckline. I don't know where they expect you to get medieval-looking stretchy trim! My only last complaint was that because the dress has an unlined train, some of my hemming came out and the serger threads are already fuzzy from dragging. This means I have to walk around holding my dress up.
I was really glad to do some stash-busting. I've been keeping better track of my spending and I have very much overspent myself on fabric this year. Although, after buying the trim and bag materials ($26ish) and flats ($12, Payless) to wear with the dress, it really wasn't necessarily so thrifty as I would have liked.
Photos from the Faire...I went with my youngest sister, Laura, who had never been. She came up with her own costume, although it didn't involve sewing.