05 August 2011

It's A Party!

Yep, Happy Birthday to Oona, happy birthday to me (today), and apparently many others!
First stop, on my birthday train was dinner at Cuban Revolution with Daddy-Opi. It is in an old mill complex.
Since it is late 1950s/early 1960s themed, I wore my best shift dress, by Yves Cossette Depeche Mode (tried to research that company, with no luck). I got it at Savers for under $10 and it is 100% linen and lined!
All the art was done by a local artist and they played Cuban music.
Then, last night I had a bonfire with some of my amies - my best friend, my best friend from first grade (with whom I later attended uni), my neighbour/fellow girl scout in high school, and a girl I met at uni while doing costuming. And my sisters! We made marshmallows and dough girls. Bonfires are big in New England summers.
Today we finished it off by going to Newport. We intended to see a Doris Duke sports clothes exhibit, but it is only open on Saturdays! So we moseyed on over to the Cliff Walk (beautiful and free).
 The big reveal! My birthday dress! I made it way back in May out of my favorite, Simplicity 2418 (a top and tunic, but I lengthened it into a dress). Read more on it at Burdastyle.
We played in the hedges and climbed some trees.
Then, a little window shopping was done and Jason bought me a new addition to my animal costume jewelry collection, from Bedazzled. I highly recommend it, all the jewelry was under $24.
 Isn't he cute?
Finally we got to Flo's, for dinner, which made Jason very happy. He doesn't like shopping, but he likes food! Drew Barrymore once ate there, but more importantly it was delicious.
Last stop was Purgatory Chasm, made by the devil when he chopped a maiden's head in half. Yeah, that's Rhode Island for you!

7 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! It looks like you had fun, and here's to a great year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! The beach looks wonderful. My grandparents live in Maine so I'm rather attached to the rocky New England type beach. (and all things lobster for that matter ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!!! That dress is so cute...both, actually :) How is the textile shopping in RI?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feiz Cumpleanos chica! I love that b-day dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiest of birthdays! Your dress is uber fabulous for the occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My birthday was on the 4th! So happy birthday to you (us)! I love the dress, and the company's name, too!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv