20 June 2011

MMJune: 14-19

MMJune photo taking has not been going well. My family was getting a little cranky, so I took hardly any photos this week. I'm also only just over my cold, so I wasn't always up for it either.
14 June
The Outfit: Dress - Simplicity 2591
Worn to work.
Pros: The fit is heavenly. We had a cold snap for a few days (I even had to dig out a pair of tights) so this worked well. Also, pockets are good, and it pairs up cutely with a peasant blouse for a Sound of Music dirndly look.
Cons: It really is more of a cool weather dress and probably won't be worn again until October. I also may have made it too fitted, as it rubs a little in the armpits.
15 June
The Outfit: Jacket - Simplicity 2223
Pros: This dress has probably saved this jacket, which, despite the heavy-weight cloth, is really more of a summer style. I imagined a dress just like this would be good with it, to bring out it's historical feeling without being too over the top and voila, one appeared and I bought it!
Cons: I still don't love the jacket. I need to fiddle with the peplum a bit as it is too full for my taste. I think I will eliminate the back pleat. Also, the irony of the dress is that alone, to my costuming eye it looks an awful lot like underwear from the 1800s. Which is really neat, but then I feel like I'm wearing my underwear about!

 Bonus Outfit: Apron - Advance 7878 (1956)
Pros: I am actually wearing this apron a lot more than I thought. I don't cook often, but when I do I don't want to get dirty, so out comes the apron! Plus, it was recycled from a very bad apron-dress I made that was a total fail. And again, pockets! So useful!
Cons: None!

16 June
Pattern: Simplicity 2381
Fabric: Quilter's Cotton from JoAnn ($11)
Notions: 3 packs of 1/2" bias tape in seafoam green ($6)
Time: Probably around 10-15 hours...it was a lot of bias tape!
Pros: It filled my need for a new bag, as my tote bag had hit the dust, and it also fulfilled my wish for something with a Gunne Sax feel. I love the bag it is very cute and very sturdy. The tall and not-wide design keep everything organized. Plus, it is just the right size for a standard notebook! At points the reason behind the construction was unclear but in the end it all came together.
Cons: The first irksome thing in making this bag was not only did I buy 1/2" bias tape instead of the 1/4" it called for (an honest mistake), was that instead of the 1 package it called for I used three! It would have taken four if I had done the shoulder ties (they looked too big and poked my face). This meant lots of return trips to JoAnn. I also left out the inner pocket. Next, it instructs you to use fusible interfacing on all the outside pieces. This makes it sturdy, but it caused my fabric to pucker all over! It goes with the shabby look of the bag, so it was OK this time. It was also hard working with such big pieces of interfacing. They never came out exactly right and often made a fat wrinkle that was hard to get out.

17 June
 Sorry kids, you'll have to wait for tomorrow for this one! To give you a hint, I went to see Pirates 4 and had to wear them safety pinned shut because I couldn't finish them in time. I was literally hemming them as my parents were getting into the car for the movie. They're 60s/70s inspired, and just a little psychedelic.
18 June
 The Outfit: Top - Simplicity 2364
Yay for recycling...photos. This one is getting worn to work a lot, I think because in my mind it looks and feels more RTW and modern (probably due to what I am now calling The Knit Factor) than most of my clothing and, well, I work in a clothing store. Not that that stops me from wearing crazy clothes as well, but sometimes I like to blend in a little bit.
19 June
  The Outfit: Top - Simplicity 7811
This is yet another recycled photo. I really don't wear it any other way, though, except I change the shorts. It still needs some tweaking, in my eye, although it has become my go-to for days when I am not working because I don't care if I get it a little dirty.

6 comments:

  1. Love the photos! The one on 15th June is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I the fabric you used for the apron and the tote bag! All these prints are delightful. I know how you feel about interfacing - sometimes I flatline scrap fabric to outside pieces instead because mine bubbles so often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant "I love" the fabric you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute new tote! :) I also like the "underwear & jacket" outfit... :)
    Hope you're feeling better. I'm feeling with you, I'm also just getting over a bad cold...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the tote bag - the fabrics are gorgeous, and all that bias tape looks great! Plus pockets on the outside of a bag are always handy.
    That first dress is so lovely - the fabric and the fit look gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv