14 June 2011

MMJ: Days 8-13

I've been bad about posting my photos daily, and I even missed one day's photo but at the same time I am doing better at a Me-Made-Month than ever. I also have yet to put up my Summer Essentials Sew Along list, but I'm making better headway than last year.
I am super excited because today is shopping day at JoAnns! I'm limiting myself to one trip a week although even once a week seems somewhat lavish in writing. I need to pick up bias tape and thread to finish trimming Simplicity 2381 (lower left view). My old 99 cent tote bag I bought in Quebec at the Gap is getting threadbare. Luckily, Gutermann threads are on sale!
I want to also find some printed cotton for my Gunne Sax dress, and they had a giant stripe cotton that I was thinking of making into some pants. Having somewhat cured my tops problem I am now lacking in bottoms now for MMJune. I'm hoping to make 3 more bottoms, probably one skirt, one pair of pants and another Ruby. OK, onto my Me-Made-June photos.  

I apologize, because it is a REALLY long winded post, but I promise it is worth reading! Why? Because it includes A&W, near wardrobe malfunctions and a run in between cheese dip and a white trench coat (that I was wearing).

Day 8: top - Colette 003, necklace - handmade by my best friend
I started out with my nicer ensemble of cream skirt and Sorbetto top for doing some sewing, but then switched to this because my mother took us to the beach for a picnic. It was in a historic district of Wickford, but check out the modern cement monstrosity behind my head! It is actually a house!
Pros: Is a good casual-dressy top, this beach look I did not like as much. No sleeves, so good in the heat.
 Cons: Has not magically lost it's boxiness.
Day 9: shorts - Burdastyle Ruby
This is the day I didn't get to take a photo because I worked 9:30-5 and then had to drive to Gloucester for CPR training from 6-9. I was late because I stopped at the A&W for supper and they were swamped, with only two workers. It is supposed to be an old-fashioned car-hop setup, but I risked life and limb through lightning, thinking that if I ordered at the window I might get my burger sooner. We'd been having some crazy thunder storms from the heat and I drove right into one, so I snapped this photo.

Day 10: top - New Look 6895
Worn to work, after making pleats in the neckline on top of my shoulders to pull up the neckline. However, I still had to safety-pin it to my bra straps to prevent wardrobe malfunctions.
Pros: So light and cool! Also, I love the femininity of the neck ruffle. Can dress it up or down.
Cons: The armsceye is cut high, which means unfortunate sweat stains will happen. Also, see above note on safety-pinnage.
Day 11: top - Simplicity 2364
Pros: Can be worn in hot or cool weather (it dropped down to the 60s).
Cons: The colors aren't ideal on me...they are a little too light and close to my skin tone.
Day 12: dress - Butterick 4022 (1974)
Worn to my first ever Tonys Party! I sewed it the morning-of in 3 hours. I made this previously without the hood, and I have to say I didn't think I would love the hood as it closes up the neckline but I was wrong. It goes great with converse for a sportier look. Here;s my sad story: I brought cheese dip to the party in a casserole dish wrapped in a towel. I balanced the cheese dip on my hip only to find that when I got up to the party, it had tipped and leaked onion-stinky cheese grease ALL OVER the front of my WHITE trench coat and a tiny spot had leaked through onto my dress!
Pros: I love the hood and the comfort of knit fabric.
Cons: Because I chose a cotton-rayon blend, this version requires some serious undergarments - girdley underpants AND a slip.
Day 13: top - Simplicity 2415 (2010)
This was what I did after work! I was so tired from the party, as my usual bedtime is around 9:45 and I didn't go to bed until 2am both Saturday and Sunday night. Plus, I've got a touch of a cold. Boo.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made the hooded version, it rocks! Sad about your poor jacket though... My thoughts are with you dear little CK white jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE the hooded dress!

    I hope you're able to get the trench coat clean ):

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new dress is lovely, it's a really good color for you and I love the hood! :) Also, Simplicity 2415 is really cute. And I like your ruffle top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, love your storm picture! I'm always taking pictures of clouds here. I love that you and I both made up the Simplicity top - I love the stripe matching with your boyfriend! Also, love the hooded version of your dress and THOSE FANTASTIC SHOES!!! Seriously, those shoes are dynamite. I hope your trench comes clean - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your outfits, AND your pros & cons! you had some run ins, girl. no wonder you have a cold. get some elderberry extract and put 30 drops in a little water an hour. i swear it works magic!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv