29 May 2011

Seven Tops in Seven Days or Why I Won't Sew the Perfect Summer Dress

My sister rather rudely awakened me to the fact that MMJune starts on WEDNESDAY! I thought it at least didn't start until the weekend. Of course, I also wrote that it was 2008 on a bank deposit slip last week. Just saying. I'm not really on top of things like dates. Anyways, I  realized I have a large problem. The SW challenge this week is to make "The Perfect Summer Dress". I have my perfect summer dress pattern, from 1935. I don't have fabric for it and I really don't need another dress for MMJune.
But I do need tops. Badly. I have 5, but one is flannel and one is a little too much on the vintage side to wear to work. So I decided to do a 7/7 challenge, like Mena did on the SW, only I would do it with tops instead of dresses. I kicked it off with Colette Patterns new free pattern, "Sorbetto". This is actually also my first time sewing with a Colette Pattern!
Can you tell I'm in love with it? It is reminiscent of a simple late edwardian/early flapper shirtwaist with the center pleat detail.
Pattern: Colette Patterns' "Sorbetto" $0
Fabric: Silver sparkly linen, leftover from the "Meh" mock-Calvin-Klein dress. I didn't even really have a yardage, just scraps from my scrap box. $0
Notions: Bias tape (JoAnns $1.25), blue braid trim (Lorraine Fabrics $.99), crochet trim (JoAnns, purchased for another project).
Time: Approximately 6 hours...all that trim meant a LOT of pinning!
Cost: $3
This pattern was delightful to sew! I can see why the Colette Patterns are so popular. I did, however, alter it slightly. I had to take it in at the armpits and up a smidge in the back shoulder seams but those are my usual alterations. I also added some darts to the back to give it more shape.
I think I am going to make it again as a pajama top, with their free bloomer pattern, only out of white batiste which would very much give it an Edwardian feel
On another note, I went swimming today, to celebrate the holiday weekend! Then my sister and I got lost in the trails for about an hour and came out in someone's back yard.
But back to the sewing...
How am I planning on accomplishing my seven tops? Well, JoAnns is conveniently having a 5 for $5 Simplicity sale at the moment, so I snagged up several patterns, including a full price New Look. I did my PatternReview.com research before going. After, my sister and I headed off to Lorraine Fabrics to the $1.99/yd bargain loft for sufficient top making fabric. I would have loved to stashbust, but back when I was buying up my stash I had little knowledge of what is appropriate for garment construction, so most of it isn't. Approximately $40 spent and hopefully well invested!

13 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your tops. I can't believe MMJ is starting so soon. Ack. I need to get back to the sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - what a fab challenge - I look forward to seeing the new tops :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your top looks adorable! I can't wait to see the others that you make. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it!! And so fun that you are doing a 7 in 7 blouse challenge!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your whole outfit is awesome - I love the way you styled it.

    And Collette has a free pattern? Wha? I am headed over there now...

    Good luck with your tops challenge - keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really cute! This is the first Sorbetto I've seen and you've done a great job. I've got one lined up too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is so cute! And looks very House of Elliot, I can so see Evie in this. You look excellent! I just finished a Sorbetto top as well, but I'm going to have to adjust for my next one (and there WILL be a next one) because it's a trifle snug in the chest area. And my next one is SO getting embellished, you've inspired me! As usual...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, good luck with that challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! I'm really looking forward to making my own Sorbetto!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why have I only just now stumbled onto your blog??? Oh I know - it's because there are SO many delightful sewing blogs out there. Glad I finally found yours, especially since I was a voracious Nancy Drew fan way back when. I'll be perusing your archives, and following your new bits :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your challenge, and love, love, love the Collette Patterns top you just whipped up! I downloaded that last week as I, too, am in desperate need of tops for Me Made June, and am eager to get cracking on it. Glad to hear it sews up like a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this. You look right out of the 20's or 30's to me. (I'm not very good at judging eras) I also really love what you did to the Sorbetto!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv