10 May 2011

Happy Birthday Shirt For Mom and SW Hat Dress

I've done it again! Made Simplicity 2418, that is. This is my fifth time around sewing it, and I've got a sixth on the way for myself only I lengthened it into a dress. 
I finished the seams a little differently...just whipstitched without picking into the shirt itself but other than that I constructed it the same as my own. She picked out the fabric at JoAnn's and it works great with the pattern because it is a tad stiffer than the two fabrics I've used in my own.
 On a more depressing note, I've done my right thumb in with all the handstitching and knitting I've been doing and so I probably won't be getting around to making my Sew Weekly Challenge project this week. Never mind that the sewing gods were pulling it all together for me! I was going to make the infamous Butterick 4790 (walk-away dress) and even found 6 yards of gorgeous quilter's cotton by M'Liss at Savers for $4.99...I had previously bought some fabric from the same collection a few years ago for about $9.99/yd from the JoAnns.
I've also got some Built By Wendy pants on the sewing table and a 1970s UFO that would also serve for the SW challenge if I really felt like it.
Also, for those of you not participating in the Sew Weekly Sewing Circle, I forgot to post this dress!


The challenge was to make a dress to match a hat we own! I was very excited for this one, especially as I had started the dress a few weeks before. It matches the pillbox that I also happen to have made! It is fully underlined in the bodice and has a free hanging lining in the skirt. I omitted the facings and opted to bias bind the edges since the underlining acted like a facing anyways.
Fabric: Thrifted sheet and scraps from another sheet for the lining ($2.99)
Pattern: Simplicity 2209, Lisette "Passport" Dress ($1.99)
Notions: Zipper, thrifted ($.69)
Time: Not sure, I basically drafted the bodice front from scratch using my own sloper, and that took ages!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice, great job with the sewing! The hat looks nice with the dress great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom's blouse is gorgeous. It's a flattering style, I think.

    And I'm enjoying seeing people's different versions of the Passport dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is PERFECT for that hat! You look so lovely and demure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blouse for your mum is AMAZING...love that fabric! Sorry to hear about your thumb...hope it gets better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv