23 May 2011

SW: Embellishment Ideas

In case you're looking for some inspiration for this week's SW challenge (like myself) I put together a list of ideas and tutorials.
My all-time favorite embellishment is probably embroidery, even though I'm not very good at it. My favorite source for free vintage transfers is floresita of "Feeling Stitchy"'s flickr photostream.
Grosgrain has a whole month's worth of embellishment tutorials.

Burdastyle is also a good source for inspiration and tutorials.
Fray Trim Tutorial
Threads is also a fount of embellishment tutorials. Tired of the same old rosettes? Make a chrysanthemum!
Fabric braid is fun, but this ribbon braid looks ten times more professional.
 Rock some studs, like on this 1940s cape.
 Weave some celtic knot trim, or form it into pockets!
Last, but not least, make some prairie points!
image from diaryofaquilter.com

4 comments:

  1. Those look like fun ideas! The bee is really cute. Someday I want to try the free form felted wool technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, thank you for sharing! I'm especially fond of the embroidery embellishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the bee cardigan!! Thanks so much for the link! That's what I'm going to make for the SW challenge this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog and I have to say that it is darling! (Plus it's always nice to "meet" fellow Sew Weekly sewers!) I've been wanting to learn to embroider for a while and I think I'm going to take the plunge and do it (though probably not in time for this week's challenge.)

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv