08 February 2011

1930s Bias Evening Dress: The Conclusion

This is probably my best sewing to date. <3

Pattern: Hollywood 544, 1940
Description: "Nightdress with raised waist-line in front and a seam under a tie belt in back. High neck with shirt-waist lap closing and flat round collar, or a deep V-neck with ribbon-run beading or binding finish. Tucks or gathers at the shoulders, and bishop sleeves or sleeveless."
Fabric: Parachute Purple Crinkle Charmeuse from the Midnight Jewels collection, 57", at Jo-Ann
Burdastyle: http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/1930s-evening-gown 
What I Learned/Details: 
-The back tie was eventually omitted from the dress. I made it floor-length and it pulled on the front. I don't know if the original length would still have produced this same problem.
-Buying wide enough fabric is important, unless you want to "piece" the skirt.
-Silky fabric has a bad reputation. I loved sewing with it!
-Making self bias-binding and then hand sewing it to the neckline and armholes made it look so much better than if I had done it by machine.
-I bought the chain of gems to go across the neckline from Jo-Ann's for $5 or $6, I don't remember. Unfortunately it cracked apart during dry-cleaning and now needs to be replaced.
 

6 comments:

  1. LOVE this! What a fantastic color as well! I love the pattern and the necklace as well (too bad it broke!) So lovely!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness this is lovely---what a color! Well done, Lisette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so nice, great work!

    I agree on sewing in bias binding by hand, Its the best way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is stunning! Love the color and cut! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is breathtaking. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv