31 December 2010

Sense and Sensibility Sew-Along

In the midst of all the craziness surrounding Annie at Hartford Children's Theatre I have decided on my New Year's Sewing Goal: to sew myself a complete outfit from the gorgeous regency patterns of Sense and Sensibility Patterns. I dream of wearing it for walks in the woods nearby, reading novels and contemplating life with a cup of tea.
That includes a gown, spencer or pelisse, chemise, and stays! I know it is a tall order, but I'm giving myself (and you as well, if you want to participate) the whole year. You can also pick and choose...want to make just the underthings? That's fine by me!
 From the Sense and Sensibility Patterns website.

The way I figure it is I will split it into three four-month long periods, first doing the underthings (January-April), then the dress (May-August) and lastly the coat (September-December). When I find the time I will also make an easy-peasy bonnet tutorial so we all can have matching hats as well. We can have posts about period fabrics, color choices, Jane Austen, and inspirational films and music.
This is a project I have thought about for probably about a year and so I know it is something I definitely want to do. If you care to join in leave a comment, and decide soon, as they are having a sale until Sunday, 10% off the patterns! And, if you will eventually make a dress for the little girl in your life you might want to buy the Regency Bundle, which is discounted.

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a sewalong! Sadly I see no use for a regency gown in my wardrobe, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any use either, seeing as there is no local regency society, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sense & sensibility patterns look beautiful. I have wanted to make a regency stay for a long time but I have never worked with a corset pattern pre 1860s before. I'm going to follow your work with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. I really want to do this. A friend and I are planning a Jane Austen tea for 15mos from now. I do have a question though, I'm still a fairly novice seamstress and have two young (as in under 5) kids so the sense and sensibility pattern is a little intimidating in it's level of accuracy.Is this something that someone who plans on having a number of other "every day" things to sew as well as small children to wrangle (not to mention a lack of skills in some areas) could feasibly take on? I had looked at this pattern as one of the options for this event but ran as soon as I saw the word "stays" because they seem very advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - On the website, she has said that many novice sewers have sewn the patterns with a little help here and there. Once I get the patterns in the mail I will be better able to determine what might be tricky. Mind you I've never made stays either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm in then. 15mos ought to be enough time to finish it even with distractions and my slow sewing speed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made about 8 of these gowns for me and my sister. They're great! I recently made one with nursing access for Halloween. It turned out really well.

    I made the coat too, you can see pictures here: http://confessionsofaseamstress.blogspot.com/2007/09/spencer-jacket.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't want to commit as I couldn't locate my patterns, but I found them today! I'm definitely in for the coat, but depending on my sewing budget I may just be tweaking my current set of underthings and the dress. :D
    ~Christine H.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lisette,

    I'm interested. I've wanted to make one of these S&S outfits for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a different stays pattern but I have a tutorial on my site for the grommeting and fitting a victorian corset. there are also some pics from a Jane Austen Tea the Sacramento Library held. I want a simpler dress so I may just join along. And shorter stays would be a plus since the wooden busk is a killer to drive with LOL

    http://thedistracteddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/jane%20austen

    http://thedistracteddomestic.blogspot.com/search/label/corset?updated-max=2011-01-03T14%3A35%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=20

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv