30 May 2010

What is Flat-lining?

According to WikiAnswers:
Flat-lining is sewing your the lining and shell pieces of your project (wrong sides together) before you assemble. You then treat the flat lined piece as one; flat lining allows for a heavier weight to the material which can aid construction.

It is really mostly used in corsetry, but I felt it was appropriate in the case of my shorts, because I was using VERY thin fabric and hopefully it will help to act as a bit of a built-in-girdle. When I learned to do it we actually serged the pieces together, but as I don't have a serger I just sew mine at about 2/8 seam allowance.
I hope that answers the question about flat-lining!

And what!
I came across this on RI's cragislist a few days ago:
I am desperatley seeking to find old sewing patterns from the 40's 50's 60's or any others you may not be using. I really love the clothing styles and they don't make these anymore. You would be awesome if you replied nto my ad or called me @ ...
I will return all calls

Excuse me?! I am the only vintage-loving Rhode Islander that I know of. Where is this person from? Who are they?
I sent them an email...we'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisette! Totally helpful. I've finally got the Ruby pattern printed! I'm hoping I'll get my sewing machine set up by tomorrow and start sewing with all of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, another question, and perhaps this is obvious: What size buttons are you using for the Ruby? I can't find it on the pattern/instructions, though that may be due to the obtuseness of BurdaStyle's directions (they always confuse me!). I took advantage of Joann's sale but now looking at the pattern, I think I've got the wrong size. No biggie, but thought I'd ask.

    And you should check out the sale -- I ended up picking up the Project Runway pattern you posted about yesterday. I've been eyeing it, but reviews have been mixed, but hey, for $1, I'll try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv