23 March 2010

Cosmetic Toxicity

Le sigh. This photo is the result of a little challenge my sister I and did for ourselves this weekend. We looked up all our beauty products on the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database. These are all the products we shall never be buying again and we've even thrown out a few (the ones that got a 10/10 toxicity rating). Most were a 4 or higher.
The worst were the Bikini Zone Creme (tumors developing from moderate use!), Jergens lotion, Victoria's secret lotion, Noxzema and the CVS Cherry Chap-Block.
Notice there are no nail polishes? My family is avidly anti-nail polish, and with good reason. They're one of the most toxic beauty products, along with hair dye.
To make up (hahaha) for having to get rid of some of these, I'm ordering some mineral makeup on Etsy. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to the database! I will be checking out my stuff too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I've been meaning to get some healthier, less toxic makeup, but I've been stalling since I don't know what brands to buy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up getting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I did the same thing when I decided my family and I would live paraben (SLS/SLES) free: http://www.rhinestonesandtelephones.com/2009/12/going-naked.html

    I've linked to some great Etsy shops that I've all purchased from personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh! i recognize a few of those...how I miss my cosmetics, though I feel better not using them

    ReplyDelete

Folks Serv